Month loading GIFs broken in IE9?

Found a bug?
Let me know so I can sort it out

Month loading GIFs broken in IE9?

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi there,

I just upgraded my laptop to IE9 and now the animated GIFs used while AJAX is loading the monthly data just don't appear.

It's got to be a JavaScript bug in IE9 I guess, but does anyone know how to work round it? It totally destroys the whole point of using AJAX - in fact it looks just like a pre-AJAX effect at the moment :cry:

Works perfectly in Firefox of course.
kuczora

Re: Month loading GIFs broken in IE9?

Postby chris » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi,
I don't quite see how the animated gif not showing "totally destroys the whole point of using AJAX". That graphic has nothing to do with AJAX nor how the calendar is loaded. But anyway.... it is probably a path issue.
Do you have an url that I can look at?

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Chris,

Fast response, many thanks!

Just having a whinge about IE9 :D

For me, AJAX is all about the "user experience" - you click a button, something happens straight away to give you feedback. Now in IE9 you click a button and absolutely nothing appears to happen for 5 - 10 secs until the page updates itself - that's actually worse than "pre-AJAX" where at least the page blanking before being redrawn gave you some sort of feedback :o

You can take a look at my calendar at:

www.online-reservations.co.uk/caldemo/index.php

I'm running IE9 "out of the box" so I'm worried that all IE9 users are getting the same issue.
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Forgot to say that I'm running a modified version of your code - the calendar at that url shows availability for *types* of rooms, not individual rooms.

You can access the admin panel for the calendar at:

www.online-reservations.co.uk/caldemo/a ... /index.php

User name: admin
Password: demo
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Hang on - I've just noticed that my jQuery date-pickers are broken in IE9 as well, so I've obviously got a JavaScript problem here.

At first sight it looks like IE9 has disabled JavaScript, maybe as a secure new default setting.

I'll need to look into this, sorry for wasting your time!

(Would still love to know how it looks to you in IE9 though)
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

OK, back again!

Looks like IE9 is breaking lots of stuff :(

The date-picker error looks like issues with jQuery 1.3.2 on IE9.

The failure to show the loading GIFs looks like an error in mootools1.2.4.

With debugging on in IE9 I get this error:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get value of the property 'detachEvent': object is null or undefined
mootools-1.2.4-core-yc.js, line 41 character 75

JavaScript bombs out on the error, so the graphics never get shown.
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Same problem occurs in IE8.

The error is at the same place in mootools, just a slightly different error message:

'a.window' is null or not an object
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I'd be glad to take a stab at moving the AAC code from mootools 1.2.4 to 1.3.2 and feeding the results back into the project if you can give me a few pointers.

e.g. Which of the extras did you use in your "more" js for mootools?

I'll try and find an uncompressed copy of the 1.2.4 file just in case I can slightly hack the offending code - i.e. wrap it in an "if exists" conditional.

Just to note that the offending function seems to be called whenever a page changes or closes.
kuczora

Postby kuczora » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Just taken a look at the demo page on your site using IE9, and the mootools error doesn't occur - however the loading graphics still don't appear when changing calendars, the calendars all go blank and after 5 - 10 secs the new calendar months all appear simultaneously.

Looks great in Firefox, as always.

BTW on your downloads page you can't see the release notes in IE9, the div just doesn't appear when you click on any of the links - doesn't throw any errors though, just doesn't work.

PS - a quick tweak of your CSS to add border-radius properties will give that nice rounded look in IE9.
kuczora

Postby chris » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for all your feedback and tests.

I do actually have a version of the calendar with the JS ported to the new Mootools version (I also have another version with all the JS converted to classes which is the way I really want this to go). I just need to finish it up and publish it. However it also has several other modifications that need to be finished off too (I am going to try to push this out over the next couple of days).

Thanks for pointing out the error on the site too. I will update the mootools there too (will modify it to use the google code version of mootools).

The problem is that I don't currently have access to IE9 so I am working blind.

Thanks again,

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bugs