23%
No
19%
Depends on the price
58%

Total votes : 31

Re: Should I charge for this calendar?

Postby joed89 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:56 am

I guess knowing what things you have gone through to put up this site would need some recognition. With great support, I would not be surprised that a lot would be willing to pay for the service. In my opinion, it would work well with those who do not want to pay if you still give them the basic service while paid ones would get support and more functions.
joed89

Postby Zen » Thu May 19, 2011 2:39 am

Personally I've dedicated a considerable part of my own time (without charge) to developing the web site on which I'm now using your calendar, to help out a not-for-profit organisation. Consequently I was delighted to come across your excellent calendar which helps both me and them - but if I hadn't then I would have found some other no-cost solution, so in my case no, I wouldn't pay.

That's not a reflection on what is clearly a great piece of software - and I can see from the forum that your support is really good too! I'm also sure that it must take up a large chunk of your spare time.

No doubt there is a market for commercial software, however I would imagine that it might be rather small and squeezed between 'can't pay / won't pay' operators running a home business and commercial holiday companies that would expect (and demand) a slickly integrated booking and availability system, because it will save them time and money compared to the alternatives of pen, paper and spreadsheets.

As the opensource market continues to grow, I guess that the alternative might be to build on your work through bringing some others on board - via SourceForge, perhaps?

Finally, thanks once again for making your calendar this available to us all.

Zen
Zen

Postby oakleaf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi
One thing you could possibly look at is developing this as an addon for CMS systems, I use Concrete5 and thats crying out for an availability calendar as there is none in the marketplace. I'm not a programmer but I understand it is quite an easy system to develop addons for. You could charge a decent amount for this in their market place.
oakleaf

Previous

Return to General Topics