No
19%
Depends on the price
58%

Total votes : 31

Re: Should I charge for this calendar?

Postby ptitrusse » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi

Definitely not, in my opinion. There's already a lot of calendars to buy out there, but that's not the main reason I find. Internet was meant to be a place where knowledge and things in general are shared. Unless you need the money, or intend to live off your calendar (which I doubt is possible), I think charging for it goes against the very idea of Internet. Furthermore, unless you have enormous amounts of resources to put into something you create, the very simple fact that the Internet is made up of so many people will always enable you to benefit from others more than you actually contribute. This is why open source software is having such an enormous success these days. These are people who've understood exactly how it works. My opinion is, you should open up your work to the ideas of others, and it will evolve so much more. On a practical point of view, charging for it will only lead people to search for the code on rapidshare or such, and give you so much more work, because you'll have to support it.
This doesn't mean that good work should not be compensated for. What I would do:
  • Free software
  • small unobtrusive ad on the main page
  • Donation Box in download page
  • Charge services such as install it for people who don't know about making websites, to integrate it into theirs

Have a nice day
ptitrusse

Postby honey4d » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Chris

Would there be any chance I could test v3.

With regards to charging...I would create a free version with a credit that can be removed for a fee.

I would be happy to pay a small fee for it.

Jon
honey4d

Postby hugo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 am

First of all, my compliments. The availability calendar is very user friendly and exactly fulfill my needs.
So I am looking forwards for the final version!

Some suggestions:
You could offer three versions of the Availability Calendar v3.
1) As a (paid)service. For those who are not familiar with php scripting, webhosting and so on.
They can implement the availability calendar with iframe
See for an example: http://www.vakanzkalender.de

2) A version for Web developers who want to implement de Admin functionality.
It is more than reasonable that pay a fee for this pro version.

3) The Calendar without the Admin shell.
like version 2 you could offer this for free and get useful feedback in return.

For a paid versions you could consider the following functionality:

Distinguish two login levels;
I can imagine that a person is only responsible for updating the calendar booking state.
In that case the other admin functions are only interesting for the real administrator.

In case you want to book a holiday, starting in the last week of March en ending in the first week of April, it is nice to see both months side to side.
This is not possible at this moment when “Number of Months to Show” = 3. You will see Jan., Febr., March or April, May, June.
For scrolling through the calendar you could implement the following buttons:
<< , < , > , >>
<< Previous 3 month,
< Previous month
> Next month,
>> Next 3 months

For a paid version I would suggest that the web developer can customize the interface with ccs.

For a paid version I would suggest that the interface is (optionally) free of links to your site.
Links in the html code can remain of course.
hugo

Postby rcph » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I do not know, but I find it very difficult. The current version performs exactly as expected. If I need a calendar to be the hotel, choose a different solution.
rcph

Postby jmmunoz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:58 pm

There's a lot of work to do before you could ask money for it, but I think you could do it in the future.

If you make a complete calendar you could ask for money because it would be really usefull and practical for hotels, renting sites, etc...
jmmunoz

Postby kirstyjay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm

I think in order to define whether you should have a paid/free version, you also need to define the user.

If it's being used commercially, then I think that any fair-playing individual would expect to pay a reasonable fee, however if the calendar is being used by an individual looking to add it to a page to rent one or two private apartments, then it should be free. Maybe have a 3 apartment limit on the free version and as others have suggested, charge for install, if necessary, for web novices. You could have greater functionality and unlimited rentals in the paid version, or as others have suggested, payment for link removal.

This is a fabulous script. Not only is it the nicest calendar I have seen (and I've searched a LOT, as I know a lot of people with apartments) but it's also free. You really are very talented and generous. :)
kirstyjay

Postby chris » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :)

The general feeling (especially mine) appears to be to keep the script free and consider making a fuller version (ie more features) and charge for it. However, that is going to require a lot more work so we will have to be patient ;)
In the mean time, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the odd donation for the current free version ;)

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby GGG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm

to many bugs to charge at the moment i.e had to edit the install file to remove some stuff as was getting insert errors (not compatible with older versions of mysql?), the language error I got on the post I did, doesn't work with windows running apache, a big minus for me as I design my sites locally then upload to the web.
GGG

Postby chris » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 pm

to many bugs to charge at the moment i.e had to edit the install file to remove some stuff as was getting insert errors (not compatible with older versions of mysql?), the language error I got on the post I did, doesn't work with windows running apache, a big minus for me as I design my sites locally then upload to the web.

Hi,
If you are getting bugs, please let me know about them so that I can try to fix them.
I didn't get a chance to answer your post about the language file as you answered it yourself saying that you fixed it.
I can't think of any reason why things should be different on a Windows running apache. The language is defined by the code, not the server :(

What problems are you having with mysql? I am not aware of any impcombatabilites and infact both the php and mysql code are very simple.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby GGG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:10 pm

The mysql error is because i running a old version of mysql and yeah I should update so can't blame your software (DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 is what was causing it), I will try and replicate the language problem I had and if it happens again I will let you know, the apache/windows problem is to do with the slashes as discussed at the google group and that is the killer for me, sort that out and I would pay ;)
GGG

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics