Search & link

Got some ideas as to how the calendar could be improved?
No bugs, no installation issues, just your ideas as to what could be added or changed in this Availability Calendar (remember, this is NOT a bookings calendar by default)

Search & link

Postby marcs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:08 am

I use this for vacation rentals. Very often I need to find a available property. It would be a great feature to offer a search field with results being listed that are linkable to a specific web address to view the avaibale property. If you do this include an example date range format. You could turn on or off this feature.
Thanks
marcs

Re: Search & link

Postby chris » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:49 am

Hi,
To do this you would really need to integrate the calendar fully into your property database.
In most cases you would also want to search for other elements such as price, number of rooms etc. and clearly these things are beyond the scope of this script as they are different on each site and would require a much more complex item management system.

If you are interested, this *is* the sort of thing that I offer as custom work.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby marcs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 pm

The search I am think about is just to identify which property is showing available for a certain date. I would think this would be a valuable tool that your competitors do not offer. Using your words "available calendar" means what is available? You allow for multiple calendars so why not with those calendars check to see what is available.

Here is what I envision:
The basic calendar page has added a search field on top with a date range and mini calendar pop up to select 2 dates (start & end) and a select button. The result is a new calendar that was found. Now for me an important requirement would be in the admin page, you get to select the output of the result of a new calendar or a link that I would set. This would allow me to show the available property with it's calendar.

One more piece that make this great. On my main page where I have multiple properties listed with a brief description I would like to put a date range search box only. So the same search process takes place. The script would be the same, output the same but I would need the HTML code for only the search box etc.

Visit my web site to see how I have set up your calendar and how I would use this search feature. http://basslakeca.com/marcslistings.html

So if you took on this project what would you charge me? Of course this could be a add-on to you free script, for a small fee have this extra feature. My email to discuss off the forum ms@basslakeca.com
marcs

Postby chris » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Marcs,
Sorry for the delay in answering your post.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I offer as custom work (along with online bookings).
I don't offer this as part of the script as in the majority of cases the availability search needs to be tied in with other external (to the calendar) factors such as price, capacity etc.
These elements are usually already defined in an existing database structure so clearly creating a generic solution that could simply be slot in is not possible.

If you want me to take a look at this on your site, please send me an email via this form

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions