cannot login to admin page

Help with installation and general calendar setttings

cannot login to admin page

Postby e-lena-s » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:16 am

Hi, I have installed the calendar, and am able to view the calendar view just fine. However I can not get passed the login screen for the admin page. Entering the admin/demo credentials just keeps me on the login page. If I enter incorrect credentials I do see an error message that the user is incorrect. So credentials are not the issue here.

Does anyone have a idea what may be wrong ?

Thanks
e-lena-s

Re: cannot login to admin page

Postby chris » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi,
Are you getting any error messages?

This login panel uses the php header() fuction to redirect you to the home index page if the data is correct.
It is possible that you have "something" in the page that is preventing this header() instruction from working.
Some servers are configured to not show php warning and error messages so maybe that is the case here.

Can you add these lines to the top of the ac-admin > admin-login.admin.php page and see if you get any php errors:
Code: Select all
error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
ini_set("display_errors", 1);

Get back to me with the results (if any).

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby e-lena-s » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

hi Chris, I added the lines you suggested, and seeing these warnings now :

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_67b499d476a54c6d8592c9cf2fe6170a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

(Before adding these lines, there were no error or warning messages, page just refreshed to the login page again after attempting to login)
e-lena-s

Postby chris » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:17 pm

OK, it lools like you have some server problems :(

The login script is attempting to write some SESSION variables to keep the user logged in and allow access to the various calendar admin sections.

I suggest that you need to contact your server administrator, explain that you want to use php sesssions and add a copy of those error messages.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby e-lena-s » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you!! Has to set the correct path to session save path before starting the session. All works great now
e-lena-s

Postby Dudley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Hello, I'm newbie with Availability calender and php with the same problem.

Up to the point where the session variables are not stored (and I searched my providers knowledge base how to fix this) I can more or less follow.

With this last post:
e-lena-s wrote:Thank you!! Has to set the correct path to session save path before starting the session. All works great now

I'm completely lost. Where does this path needs to be set? How? to what? Is it a modification to one of the calender files, or a provider specific setting?
Dudley

Postby chris » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi,
If this SESSION problem really is the issue then this is something that needs to be set at a server level and has nothing to do with the calendar script.
The only way to sort this out is by contacting your hosting provider.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby Dudley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Wow, you're fast in replying!

I did some more searching, and found that I needed to edit the default 'php.ini' file my hosting provider had automatically created for my account. This ment I had to uncomment (or rewrite) a line of code like this:

Code: Select all
session.save_path = "/home/users/web/b1234/blu.myname/var/tmp"

(where 'myname' is actually my hosting account name.) It is quite likely that with other providers this will be different, but it may prevent newbies like me to search through all the files of the calender package.

I'm still 'learning by doing', but sofar I'm very happy with the software!
Dudley

Postby chris » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Most hosting providers don't actually allow you to modify that file (I have never been able to on any server I have worked with) as it is a core file that affects the whole server.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to get them to do it for you.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby Dudley » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 am

I have limited experience with different hosting providers, but there is a reason why I chose my current provider: bluedomino.com. They make diy web mastering possible, and have a great 24/7 live support. They indeed let me edit the php.ini file, but in a special text window (I cannot access this file by ftp), and there is a convenient 'reset' button which will default to the standard ini file. (I guess this can be a pain if you make a lot of changes, as there is no possibility to keep a copy of the file). Still, it works fine for me, my (test) calender is up and running!
Dudley

Next

Return to Support