database housekeeping

database housekeeping

Postby boldfish » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Is there any provision in the script for clearing old entries from the booking table?

I'm just wondering about ten years from now when the database grinds to a halt…

what would you suggest?

A user option? or something that deletes bookings over x months old when you change an entry, or something else?

;o)
boldfish

Re: database housekeeping

Postby chris » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:42 pm

I wonder if this calendar will still be being used in 10 years? - feels good just to think about it :D

Well, as you will probably have seen whilst hacking the code, there is no provision for such a feature. Remember, as I mentioned before, this script was really meant as a starting point for developers to use and adapt to their needs as you are doing so successfully.

I would have thought that the best option would be, as you have suggested, that the administrator had an option to delete old bookings as and when they thought necesary so as not to delete data "without permission" .
It might depend of course on how much extra data you added to the table - It would be fairly easy to add actual client data to each date or individual date prices and maybe it would be better to "never" delete this information.

Obviously actually deleting the data is not hard at all so I would have thought that the final method would be best defined by the "client" (ie the person you are developing the calendar for) so as to avoid any confusion.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Re: database housekeeping

Postby boldfish » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Makes sense.

(I have other housekeeping issues, so it would probably roll into those as well)

…and we won't worry about the unix timestamp bug in 2038 then either.

;o)

Great script BTW and excellent support too!
boldfish

Return to General