Take the project to a new level

Got some ideas as to how the calendar could be improved?
No bugs, no installation issues, just your ideas as to what could be added or changed in this Availability Calendar (remember, this is NOT a bookings calendar by default)

Take the project to a new level

Postby jmmunoz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 am

Hello.

I can see there are not new versions for the last months and this calendar seems stacked in the pile of old projects.

I don't know if chris has no time or motivation to work on this calendar. But I can think of two alternatives:

1.- Try and make a "professional/paid" version of the application.

2.- Share the code with other programmers so that it can be developed and improved openly with a Creativo Commons license.

There might be other options but I can think of those two.

Is there any chance that this project gives another step ahead?
jmmunoz

Re: Take the project to a new level

Postby chris » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 am

Hi,
I'm not sure where you are coming from with this post :(
I can see there are not new versions for the last months and this calendar seems stacked in the pile of old projects.

Whilst the current version was released several months ago, that does not mean that it is old. The last release is very much alive and is being daily by many websites.
The current release is stable (asides from a couple of specific bugs which can quickly be resolved) so I have not felt the need to push a new version out "just for the sake of it".
I don't know if chris has no time or motivation to work on this calendar.

A quick look over this forum and you will see that I am very active with this project and am continually giving support where required. I hardly think that that is a sign of lack of motivation!
Just a couple of days ago for example I published a revised jQuery version of the public JavaScript file.

I am using the code as a base for a lot of my client work recently. I get a lot of requests to do custom installations based on the calendar so to be honest I don't feel that there is a need to make a paid version.

All that said, I do have a new version in the pipeline that brings sevaral new features and a completey revised JavaScript code. I am also considering including a simple backoffice bookings system to the package but I am still not 100% about this idea as each users booking specifications vary greatly so it will be hard to come up with a comon solution.

What is is specifically that you feel is lacking in this current version of the calendar?
chris
Site Admin

Re: Take the project to a new level

Postby jmmunoz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:24 pm

First of all I'm sorry if a bothered you in any way. That wasn't my intention. :?

The thing is that a few months ago you asked to the users of this script whether or not it'd be a good idea to create a "professional" version with new features but with a certain cost; and keep a simpler but free version of the script.

Yesterday I thought I might need a booking calendar for a webpage and I remembered this site. But as I hadn't seen a new version of the script I thought you might have left this application behind in your list of interests.

And as for the calendar itself I think it's fine as it is. I had a very unusual problem that only happended once before me and you found the solution for it, so it should work perfectly for me this time too.

Good to know that you're still working on it and have motivation. :mrgreen:

Best regards
jmmunoz

Return to Suggestions