vti_cnf required entry?

Help with installation and general calendar setttings

vti_cnf required entry?

Postby Neil » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Chris
On the admin 'add booking items' there is a description: _vti_cnf field, what must I put in there / and in what format?
thanks for the really smart app.
neil
Neil

Re: vti_cnf required entry?

Postby Neil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Solved.
There was a vti sub directory created in ac-contents\lang directory, as a result the 'booking items' admin page included the folder name as a required field of the same name ( I assume it was considered another language type entry ) and as a result the update tried to write to a non-existant table field to the database.
Deleted the vti folder, the 'field' subsequently disappeared from the admin page, and the record updated ok.
(the vti is probably a legacy frontpage problem in ms expression teach me for not using ftp for my uploads).
There you go, took me two days to tumble it, maybe of help to someone?
Neil

Postby chris » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi there,
Sorry, I completely missed your original post regarding this error (I was away over the weekend).

I wonder where that extra folder came from? As you ahve discovered, anything extra in that directory messes things up as the code "assumes" (sloppy coding on my part) that all contained files are language files.

I will sort this out on the next version of the calendar if I ever actually find time to finish it off.

Anyway, I am glad that you have been able to sort it out and once again, sorry for not responding to your original post.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby keyboarder » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 am

@ Neil :) "...maybe of help to someone?" --> YES ! and thanks for that hint !

It happened to me as well, whereas I should have realized it before. But those "_vti_cnf" folders are not only in the "lang" folder. They're nested in every folder AND every subfolder, once the upload is done with Frontpage ! Best in that case is to delete the entire calendar directory and upload by FTP again. Saves a lot of work !

Maybe for those who need it:
FTP into your server and look for "_vti_cnf" folders. Delete them and delete them also in any calendar subdirectory. They are created and used by FrontPage to store Metadata about specific extensions. No good for anything else, which doesn't mean "go ahead and delete 'm all" in other directories than calendar data. As soon as another upload is made with Frontpage, they will be there again ! So, don't forget to mark ALL the files in your calendar directory (in Frontpage) with "Don't publish", or take them out of the Frontpage site, once the upload is done.

@ Chris :) Just to prevent this to happen to others: You should maybe enhance in your implementation section and description files, that uploads to the server should be done by FTP only. Still many people work with Frontpage and MS Expression. ( ...me too - can't get rid of them...)
keyboarder

Return to Support