Can't get into admin

Help with installation and general calendar setttings

Can't get into admin

Postby andy4729 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi there.

This is the first time I've ever done anything with php and mySQL so I don't really know that much so please treat me like a complete newbie.

I have created a database and installed the calendar but when I try to log in to admin nothing happens. I have entered the username and password correctly (admin, demo) then clicked log in, the page then just seems to refresh and the username and password fields are cleared.

However, beneath the log in area of the page I have the following:

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_78e108c481e4da0727c1d3fd7b0502dd, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a lot,
Andy
andy4729

Re: Can't get into admin

Postby chris » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi,
It looks like your server does not have Session writing activated.

To fix this you need to get in contact with your hosting provider and ask them to turn it on and/or fix the path error (the path to where the server writes the session details). If you send them the message that you have added here they should be able to see what is going on.

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby andy4729 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks a lot.

I use iPage and have sent them a message with the required information. I'll post again when they get back to me.
andy4729

Postby andy4729 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Oh wow...

I realised I hadn't changed the permissions of the contents of the lang folder to 777 (only the folder itself) so I've now done that and it works!

Hurrah!
andy4729

Postby ssalive » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm pretty new to this stuff too so...
I'm having the same problem, with the same error messages. Sometimes I get just the page refresh, sometimes an alert box saying something like "user information invalid". I called my webhost, and they said session writing was enabled by default, and that there should be no problems with the path. They reset all the settings to defaults. The problem still continues.
I looked in the database tables, and found the password listing for admin. It doesn't look like "demo". I pasted that string into the log-in page, but it didn't work either.
I have high hopes for this calendar. I'd love to get access and get started. Thanks for the help.
ssalive

Postby chris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 am

Hi there,
I looked in the database tables, and found the password listing for admin. It doesn't look like "demo". I pasted that string into the log-in page, but it didn't work either.

The password is encrypted so that wouldn't work :)

If you are getting these messages (as per the previous poster):
Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_78e108c481e4da0727c1d3fd7b0502dd, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

it is definitely a server session problem.

Is there any chance that you could send me your ftp details (in a pm) so that I could test it out or see if you have some other problem?

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby chris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for sending me the pm with the ftp details.

I have resolved this issue now.
However it is worth mentioning (as I mentioned in the pm) that it *is* a server issue and is not related to the calendar script. They should have been able to sort this out for you. Did you actually show them the error message that you where getting?

Anyway, as I say, I have sorted this out by defining the path to where the sessions are written *manully* in the php files.

For others who come up with the same issue (and can't get their server provider to fix it) this is what I added to the top of 2 files:

Code: Select all
$sessdir = '_root_path_to_temp_directory_where_session_vars_should_be_written_/tmp';
ini_set('session.save_path', $sessdir);

(clearly you would need to customize the actual path according to your server)

This snippet needs to be added at the top (after the opening php tags) of the following files:

ac-admin/index.php
ac-includes/ajax/ajax-common.inc.php

I hope you don't run into any more problems ;)

Chris
chris
Site Admin

Postby ssalive » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Chris-
That worked fine. Super support!! Thanks again.
ssalive

Return to Support